Manchester City’s Yaya Toure hits back at Wayne Rooney: Hopefully he won’t be laughing at the end of the season

CL -   Villarreal CF v Manchester City FC, Yaya Toure
Rooney used the social networking site to poke fun at the two Ivory Coast internationals after they lost the Africa Cup of Nations final to Zambia last week.

Toure told the Sunday Mirror: “If Rooney thought Ivory Coast losing was funny then that’s up to him. I like Rooney. He is a great player.

“He will know a lot of the Ivory Coast players like me, Kolo, [Cheick] Tiote and [Didier] Drogba so he’ll have an opinion.

“I think many people believed Ivory Coast would win. Even my friends said to me that they thought it was impossible that we would lose. All I can say is that losing in the African Nations has made my determination to win the Premier League even bigger.

“Hopefully at the end of the season it will be me laughing and not Rooney. That would be good.”

Zambia emerged victorious on penalties after the Africa Cup of Nations final remained goalless after 90 minutes and extra time, with Didier Drogba missing from the spot in normal time.