Chelsea’s Frank Lampard frustrated by substitute role: I have not spoken to Andre Villas-Boas & do not know why I am not starting


The midfielder started on the bench for the second successive time in the win over Manchester City, but insists he is as fit as he has ever been and wants to play every match

Frank Lampard, Chelsea
City took the lead through Mario Balotelli, but could not hold on as they saw left-back Gael Clichy sent off and the home side take all the spoils through Lampard’s 82nd-minute penalty after Raul Meireles brought the game level.
The England international believes he is in great form and is as fit as ever, and cannot understand why he is not starting matches.
“I want to play, simple as that,” Lampard told BBC Sport. “I’m as fit as I’ve ever been. I’ve been in a good run of form and now I’ve not been playing.
“I haven’t spoken [to Villas-Boas] so I don’t know [why], simple as that.”
The 33-year-old has started just 16 of Chelsea’s 24 games this season, with the win over City his second successive time he was named on the bench, and he insists he just wants to be able to play consistently.
He added: “I want to play. If I didn’t, there wouldn’t be any point turning up, so maybe there’s a bit of frustration because of that.
“I just want to play and I like to play well. I’m always at my best when I’m playing regularly. I know I’ve got a lot to give.